Rick Scott’s plan would raise taxes on half of Americans and potentially sunset programs like Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security. “Why would you propose something like that in an election year?”
• Republicans have always favored the ultra-wealthy and large
corporations. In 2017, republicans (including Scott and Rubio) voted to
cut taxes for their wealthy donors and big corporations- creating a $2
• Today, Republicans led by Rick Scott (the wealthiest member in congress)
and Marco Rubio want to raise taxes on seniors and working-class
Americans to help pay for the 2017 deficit. The Republicans think seniors
are not paying enough - not paying their fair share.
• Under the Republicans tax hike plan taxes will increase. If you make less
than $100,000 your taxes are going up; as much as $1,000 per person.
In Florida, taxes on a family earning less than $100,000 will go up 40%.
40%! In addition, households making less than $54,000 will pay 80% of
the tax increase.
• These are working class Floridians who are already struggling to make
ends meet. The last thing we should be doing is raising their taxes. When
republicans last controlled congress they lowered taxes for the richest
Americans. Now republicans are promising if they control congress
again, they will raise your taxes so the rich can keep paying less.
• Republicans want to put Medicare and Social Security at risk in 5 years
maybe even killing or reducing social security and medicare benefits
Florida seniors worked all their lives paying into this safety net.
• Repeal Obamacare - will increase health care costs and strip coverage for
2.7 million Floridians.
• Republicans do not have plans to deal with the skyrocketing cost of food,
rent, utilities, insurance and housing. They do not have plans to take on
the oil companies raising prices.
• In fact, they do not have any plans to reduce costs. What they do have is
a clear plan to increase taxes and reduce benefits working class families
have worked and fought for their entire lives.